Sunday, October 15, 2006

another latin rock and indie folk jam

This week has swept by so fast I can't believe tomorrow is Monday and the start of a whole new week. Some catch up on the events of this past week: Friday we had an anti-oppression training session at the office which was an awakening and life-altering experience. We had an educator speak to us and facilitate a number of activities. The talk I found most intriguing was the idea of internalized oppression, when one holds him orherself back in fear of being judged by others. I know I care a lot about what others think about me. And I know a lot of times that holds me back from doing what I want to do, and even what I love to do. But what's worse about internalized oppression is that it is based on assumption. For example, I wouldn't go parading during my metro ride to work because I wouldn't want people to think that I was crazy. I'm making a judgement about people I don't even know, and that judgement dictates my actions. What if the people on the metro applauded me for my boldness to have fun. OK, so I might be going overboard with this example but my point is that our assumptions of others shouldn't be the motivation of our actions.

Saturday was an eventful day. Woke up early and did laundry, something I look forward to every other week or so. The thought of clean good-smelling clothes puts me on a high. Then Michelle and I did some grocery shopping at the market nearby. I got oreos, bananas, soy milk and boxed rice. I think I'm set for the week to come. Don't worry, my house is loaded with food. Every Sundays we restock on produce brought back from a few housemates who work at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market. They have the best eggplant! After grocery shopping we crossed the street to check out this thrift store and luckily, I found a classy tweed skirt for three bucks. Michelle scored a Gap coat for twenty something dollars. We're always making good finds. Cleaned the kitchen, ate a home-cooked burrito and left for work atJaleo, then danced the night away to Latin rock. Mark, one of my coworkers at Jaleo, dropped by and danced along too. Fun, fun!

Today woke up and watched the recently released Thank You for Smoking. Wow, I was more startled by the lead character, Nick Naylor's speaking abilities than the harms of smoking cigarettes. It's absurd to think of all the money big industries like tobacco companies put into damn persuasive lobbyists who talk their ways out of everything. It's a smart tactic and an exceptionally well paying job. I just don't know how anyone could have the conscience to take on such a high-risk job. We all know it's not just for the mortgage.

Highlight of the night: singing and dancing along to Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins at the 9:30 Club. I had been waiting for this show for so long and finally the night came to see Jenny Lewis perform live, and it was spectacular. Jenny's voice is so smoothe, so divine it speaks to your soul. Listen to Melt Your Heart or Rise Up with Fists and you'll understand.

G'night.

No comments: