Saturday, October 07, 2006

sitting in on a saturday

Mornin' folks. These past couple days have been rainy. Considering my past with seasonal mood disorder where I feel really down with gloomy weather, I'm trying to counter that and appreciate the rain, wind and cold. It's tough I tell ya. I'm just a sunny southern California girl at heart. Maybe that's why we have so many happy people in LA. Ha! Anyway I'm looking forward to the clear skies and smoke-free air tomorrow. Weather report says it's going to be a beautiful day.

Currently listening to the Counting Crows and lounging in the living room of my messy 10 person-occuppied house, I'm attempting to inspire myself to start on the ton of reading, homework, late-test and college apps. But it's Saturday and I'm exhaused from this past overwhelming week. Thursday and Friday I had my non-violent direct action trainings with Greenpeace. It was amazing even though I think I left the workshop with more questions than answers. Watching the civil rights documentaries and past Greenpeace actions gone-wrong videos made me reflect on a lot of personal issues. Part of it was depressing. Like the Greenpeace gone-wrong actions. Some were so pointless and unorganized that it made sense to me why people dislike Greenpeace. Sure a lot of it outrageous. And it's unfortunate that one bad act can hinder the greater scheme of things. What I liked about the workshop was discussing how far we'd go as an activist in terms of property destruction, self-defense, symbolism, etc. I, myself, would never make an attempt to destruct property or put any living being in harm's way. It's just not in my nature. I don't see it as being effective but rather isolating and antagonistic, even hypocrtical. I don't believe in countering violence with violence, rather compassion and communication. Others may disagree, even those within Greenpeace. And that's OK. I learned that you don't have to be in line 100% with one particular organization or ideology or anything.

I adamantly believe that one person can make a difference. It's the type of difference I'm trying to grasp. I'd like to see something revolutionary like world peace. Is that too much to ask for? Possibley. But I think it's important for each person to take personal responsibility and maybe not expect to see something grand in the moment but understand that their good actions as part of the grand solution.

I believe in goodness and having hope. I'm an optimist and gladly so. So I'm going to be continue doing good and having hope.

On a side note, I've realized I'm a work-a-holic. I feel like time is too precious to wste and so I'm always doing something. I think it's kind of good that it's raining outside because it's almost forcing me to sit at home and just relax, and more importantly, breathe. Sometimes I forget to do that and so cramps ache up in my stomach. I love to work and I love to work well. In addition to my Greenpeace Organizing Term, a semester-long program dedicated to training student environmental activists, which I really don't even consider work but more like school because of how much I'm learning from it, I work as a hostess at Jaleo, known famously for its classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine serving traditional small and savory dishes of Spain, known as tapas. Jaleo's one of the best in DC. It's hilarious how much pride I take in my work but I enjoy it so much. I love Jaleo and it's because of the people I work with. They're the most beautiful, loving and kind-hearted people I've met in DC. I hope every job that holds in my future is with an amazing team like the one at Jaleo. Ah, I'm so sentimental.

And I'm really excited because tonight I'm going to celebrate the sweet 26th birthday of my co-host, Gaston. That means lots of good music, company and dancing!

I love life. Good day, friends. Good day.

No comments: